Box jellyfish sting kills female Thai tourist on Koh Phangan Island



Miss Chayanun Surin from Bangkok was stung by Jellyfish and died on the Island of Koh Phangan
Miss Chayanun Surin from Bangkok was stung by Jellyfish and died on the Island of Koh Phangan

Miss Chayanun Surin, a female Thai tourist from Bangkok, has died after being stung by a box jellyfish while swimming off Koh Phangan Island in Surat Thani on Friday night.

Following the 9.30pm report of the incident, Koh Phangan police went to Koh Phangan Hospital and were infomred that the 31-year-old woman was dead.

Police said that the woman had travelled to the island from Bangkok with friends and went swimming at around 8pm in Tambon Ban Tai and was stung.

One of the world’s most poisonous creatures, this cube-shaped jellyfish’s sting can cause extreme pain, muscle numbness, stomach and back muscle spasms, nausea, vomiting, chest tightness and death.

Koh Phangan Hospital’s Dr Thanuwat Tippinit warned that this type of jellyfish was more prevalent during rains.

Thanuwat said the proper way to treat a sting with first aid involved pouring vinegar onto the wound.

Last August, a five-year-old French boy died from a box jellyfish sting on Koh Pha-ngan.

Thank you to The Nation “Box jellyfish sting kills woman in Koh Pha-ngan” which was brought to us by Google Alerts.

One thought on “Box jellyfish sting kills female Thai tourist on Koh Phangan Island

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.